The integration of scientific and traditional knowledge would help to develop technologies which are need based better problem solving ,locally available easily acceptable ,cost effective ,convincing and credible to the rural clientele
Types of indigenous knowledge
- Trees and plants that grow well together
- Indicator plants (plants that show the soil salinity or that are known to flower at the beginning of the rains)
Practices and technologies
- Seed treatment and storage method
- Borne setting methods
- Disease treatment
- Beliefs can play a fundamental role in a people livelihood and in maintaining their health and the environment.
- Holy forests are protected for religious reasons. They also may maintain a vital watershed.
- Religious festival can be an important source of food for people who otherwise have little to eat
- Equipment for planting and harvesting
- Cooking pots and implement
- Housing construction materials
- Materials for basketry and other craft industries
- Farmers integration of new tree species into existing farming system
- Healers test of new plant medicines
- Animal breeds
- Local crop and tree species
- Special such as healer and blacksmiths
- Local organization such as kinship group, councils of elders, or groups that share and exchange labour.
- Traditional instruction methods
- Learning through observation.
- Maize seeds are soaked in cow urine for 10-12 hours before sowing. According to farmer this treatment increase resistant against insects
- In paddy spraying a solution of 4 litre of cow urine and 10gm asafetida in 10litres of water repel the sucking pest
- In case of insects, holes made by shoot borer and bark eater in mango tree, jaggery is placed in the holes to attract other predators so that they will feed up on the insects present in the hole.
- During sprouting of setts in sugarcane crop putting stems of calotropis in the irrigation channels is effective against control of termites, white grub and borers.
- In sugarcane crop use of common salt @100-125kg /ha during intercultural operations was found to be effective against termite problem