|Home | About Us | Success Stories | Farmers Association | Farmers' Innovation | Publications | Contact|
TNAU Agritech Portal :: About Us
The Tamil Nadu Agricultural University (TNAU) came into being on June 1, 1971.However, it had its genesis from establishment of an Agricultural School at Saidapet, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, as early as 1868 and it was later relocated at Coimbatore. In 1920 it was affiliated to Madras University. TNAU assumed full responsibilities of Agricultural Education and Research and supported the State Agricultural Department by delivering research products. Till 1946, the Agricultural College and Research Institute, Coimbatore, was the only Institute for Agricultural Education for the whole of South India. In 1958, it was recognized as a Post-graduate Centre leading to Masters and Doctoral degrees. The Agricultural College & Research Institute, Madurai was established in 1965. These two colleges formed the nucleus of the Tamil Nadu Agricultural University while it was established in 1971.
The global technological developments has lead to introduction of new courses. Introduction of B.Tech.(Food Process Engineering) from the academic year 1998-99, B.Tech.(Agricultural Biotechnology) and B.Tech.(Horticulture) from the academic year 2002-2003 as self supporting program has created avenues for bugetary independence. A new degree program B.Tech.(Energy and Environmental Engineering) was started during 2004 and B.Tech.(Bioinformatics) during 2006.
Home | About Us | Success Stories | Farmers Association | Farmers Innovation | Publications | Disclaimer | Contact Us