Crop Protection :: Custard Apple
Common name: Custard applek
S.N: Annona squamosa
Major pests of custard apple
1. Fruit borer, Heterographis bengalella
Symptom of damage
Identification of the pest
- Caterpillar bore into the fruits and make tunnel inside
- Feed on the internal content of the fruits
- Affected fruits fall to ground
- Black coloured caterpillar
- Collect and destroy the damaged fruits
- Spray endosulfan 0.07% or malathion 0.1% two times once at flower formation and second at fruit set
2. Fruit fly, Bactrocera zonata
Symptom of damage
- Maggot bore into the semi ripened fruits
- Feed on the inside fruits
- Affected fruits – shriveled, malformed, rot and fall off
||Identification of pest:
- Larva - Yellowish apodous maggots.
- Adult - Light brown with transparent wing
- Collect fallen infested fruits and dispose them by dumping in a pit and covering with soil.
- Provide summer ploughing to expose the pupa
- Immersion of fruits in hot water (45 to 470 C) for 60 minutes to kill eggs and maggots
- Monitor the activity of flies with methyl eugenol sex lure traps.
- Use bait spray combing any one of the insecticides and molasses or jaggery 10 g/l,
- fenthion 100EC 1ml/l,
- malathion 50EC 2 ml/l,
- dimethoate 30 EC 1 ml/l,
- carbaryl 50 WP 4 g/l.
two rounds at 2 weeks interval before ripening of fruits.
- Prepare bait with methyl eugenol 1% solution mixed with malathion 0.1%.
- Take 10 ml of this mixture per trap and keep them in 25 different places in one hectare.
- Spray malathion 50 EC at 0.1% or fenthion 100 EC at 1ml/lit
- Field release of natural enemies Opius compensates and Spalangia philippines
3. Tailed mealy bug
, Ferrisa virgata
Symptoms of damage
- Adults and crawlers – setting on leaves, young shoots and fruit (between segments)
- Yellowing of leaves
- Reduction of fruit size and do not fetch premium price in the market
||Identification of the pest
- Nymph: Yellowish to pale white.
- Adult: Females apterous, long, slender covered with white waxy secretions
Adult - mealy bug
- Collect and destroy the mealy bug infested leaves, shoots and fruits
- Spray dichlorvos 0.05%, two times at new flush and shoot formation and second at fruit set.
- Release Cryptolaemous montrouzieri beetles @ 10/tree.