|Varietal Seed Production
- Land should be free of volunteer plants.
- The previous crop should not be the same variety or other varieties of the same crop.
- It can be the same variety if it is certified as per the procedures of certification agency
- For certified / quality seed production leave a distance of 5 m all around the field from the same and other varieties of bengalgram.
- Soak the seeds in 1% aqueous solution of KH2PO4 for 3-4 h at 1/3rd volume of seeds and are dried in shade.
- Avoid bruchid-infected seed for seed purpose.
- Seeds attain physiological maturity 35 – 40 days after anthesis.
- Harvest the crop as once over harvest when 70 – 80% of pods are creamy in colour
- Grade the seeds using 13/64” (5.2 mm) or 18/64" (7.2 mm) round perforated metal sieve depending on the variety
- Dry the seeds to 8-10% moisture content.
Mature Bengal gram
- Slurry treat the seeds with carbendazim @ 2 g kg-1 of seed.
- Slurry treat seeds also with halogen mixture (CaOCl2 + CaCO3 + arappu (Albizzia amara) leaf powder mixed in the ratio of 5:4:1) @ 3g kg-1 of seed as eco – friendly treatment.
- Store the seeds in gunny or cloth bags for short term storage (8-9 months) with seed moisture content of 8 - 9%.
- Store the seeds in polylined gunny bag for medium term storage (12- 15 months) with seed moisture content of 8 – 9 %.
- Store the seeds in 700 gauge polythene bag for long term storage (more than 15 months) with seed moisture content of less than 8%.
The Professor and Head,
Department of Seed Science & Technology,