Land should be free of volunteer plants. The previous crop should not be the same variety or other varieties of the same crop. It can be the same variety if it is certified as per the procedures of certification agency.
For certified / quality seed production leave a distance of 30 m all around the field from the same and other varieties / hybrids of the crop.
February - July and August-September
Seeds and sowing ratio
Female -2kg/ ha
Male - 0.5 kg/ha
Male and female ration is 2:8
Male- 60 X 45 / 90 X 60 cm
Female- 120 X 60 cm
Apply NPK @ 120 : 60 :50 kg ha-1 as basal application
Top dress @ of 12.5 kg N/ha at 60 days and 90 days after sowing
Earth up the crop adequately after first top dressing.
Irrigate the crop immediately after every top dressing.
- Spray 100 ppm boric acid or 0.5 % zinc sulphate to the male parent at 1st flowering to improve the pollen viability and pollen production
- Spray salicylic acid @ 250 ppm at 90 days after sowing for increased seed set.
- Spray 2% DAP for 4 times at 10 days interval for better development of crossed bolls during boll development period.
Emasculation and Dusting for cross pollination
- Emasculate and dust as far as possible all buds appearing during the first six weeks of reproductive phase to ensure good setting and development of bolls.
- Restrict emasculation to each day evening to 3 PM to 6 PM and pollination to morning between 10 AM to 1 PM to ensure highest purity of hybrid seeds. Emasculation should be complete and perfect.
- Choose optimum size of bud and avoid too young or too old buds for emasculation.
- Cover the male buds with paper bags previous evening for their use next day.
- Cover emasculated buds with red butter paper bags.
- Close the crossing programme after 9th week (from commencement of crossing) and remove all buds and flowers appearing subsequently to facilitate the development of crossed bolls