Previous crop should not be the different variety of paddy. It was if same variety, it should have passed production of certified procedure
- Adopt 3m all around the field
|Pre-sowing seed management
Egg Flotation Method for Paddy Seed
- In dormant cultivars, break the dormancy by soaking the seeds in equal volume 0.1 N conc.HNO3 or in 0.5% KNO3 for a duration of 12-16 h. The seeds are to be dried to original moisture content. (or)
- Upgrade the seeds using specific gravity grading adopting salt water (egg flotation dissolve 1.5 kg of common salt in 1 lit of water grading) to remove ill filled and immatured seed.
- For rainfed rice or direct sowing, harden the seeds by soaking the seeds in equal volume of 1% KCl solution for 16 h and dry back the seeds to original moisture content.
- Harden the seeds with 1% KCl for 16 h and dry back to original moisture content and coating with polymer @ 3 ml/kg + imidachloprid@ 2ml / kg + carbendazim @ 2 g / kg + Pseudomonas fluorescens @ 10 g/kg + Azophos @ 120g/kg. (or)
- Soak the seeds in 3 % cowpea sprout extract for 16 h in the seed to solution ratio of 1:1 and dry back to original moisture content. (or)
- Soak the seeds in 60% Pseudomonas fluorescens (80 g of powder form mixed in 100 ml of water) for 12 hrs
|Method of planting
For saline soil
- SRI method can be adopted
- Incorporation of green manure like daincha
- Designer seed as detailed above.
- Shallow planting @ 3-4 seedlings / hill.
- Planting of seedlings with 5 days more aged seedlings than normal planting.
- Basal application of gypsum @ 500 kg/ha.
- Foliar spray with 0.5% FeSO4 and ZnSO4 at tillering stage
Zinc deficient soils
- Short duration : NPK @ 120:40:40 kg ha-1
- Medium duration : NPK @ 150:50:60 kg ha-1
- Long duration : NPK @ 150:50:80 kg ha-1
- Leave a roguing space of 30 cm between the beds size of 150 cm
Preparation of pulse sprout extract
- DAP 2% or 0.5% NutriGold (organic growth promotor) at boot leaf stage and at 5-10% flowering.
- Spray with 3% cowpea sprout extract at vegetative and flowering stage.
- Cowpea seeds were soaked overnight and incubated in a wet cloth for 12 h to enable sprouting.
- Later, 100 g of sprouts were ground in a mixer grinder by using ice cubes of 100 ml of water to prepare extracts of 100 per cent concentration.
- The ground material was squeezed through cloth bag to extract the sprout extract
- When 90% of the panicle are in straw colour with the moisture content of 20% for short and medium duration varieties and 17% moisture for long duration varieties
- Threshing at 16-17% moisture content either manually or using mechanical threshers for seed separation
- Dry the seeds to 12-13% moisture content for short term storage and 8-9% moisture for long term storage
Paddy Maturity Index
- Treat the seeds with carbendazim @ 2g kg-1 of seed using 5 ml of water kg-1 of seed or dry dress with halogen mixture (CaOCl2 + CaCO3 mixture at 1:1 ratio) of seed.
- Coat the seed with polymer (3 ml kg-1 in 5 ml of water) + Royal flow 40 sc @ 2.4 ml kg-1 of seeds + imidachloprid @ 6 ml kg-1 of seed.
- Expose the seeds thrice with 50 % CO2 (4 days for 50 kg container) at 12 % moisture content at 15 days interval.
- For short term storage (9-12 months), store the seeds with 12-13% moisture content in gunny bag / cloth bag.
- For medium term storage (12-36 months), store the seed in HDPE bag or polylined gunny bag with 10-12% seed moisture
Packing and Storage of Paddy Seeds
The Professor and Head,
Department of Seed Science & Technology,